Pre-conference Module on Conservation Science & Practice
MOTIVATION AND BACKGROUND
The Student Conference on Conservation Science – Bengaluru (SCCS-Bng) is a conference that aims to facilitate interaction and exchange of research ideas and methods, and build contacts and capacity of young researchers in all aspects of conservation science. SCCS is an equal opportunity and an inclusive conference. SCCS -Bng is actively working to reach students in more regions and from all sections of Indian society.
Since its inception in 2010, one of the most important aspects of SCCS-Bng has been its strong emphasis on workshops and other capacity-building activities. As part of the conference’s continued efforts in this direction, the 2018 edition will introduce a “Pre-conference module on conservation science and practice” for selected students. This module is targeted at students from underrepresented groups and/or from rural colleges and institutions in India that have not been represented in SCCS in earlier years. We aim to take about 15 students this year.
WHO CAN APPLY?
We invite applications from students, especially from underrepresented groups (economic, social, religious, gender, physical ability, language of education) across India to apply to this pre-conference training module. In order to apply, please read the instructions and information given below carefully.
- The module is scheduled for three days (24-26 September 2018), preceding the conference and will cover a range of topics in conservation science.
- The costs for this module, including train/bus fares will be covered by SCCS-Bengaluru for the selected students.
Students selected for this module will get a full waiver on registration fees to attend SCCS-Bengaluru 2018.
- The module will cover introduction and discussion around topics pertinent to conservation, such as biodiversity conservation, conservation ethics, human-animal conflict, political ecology, local community participation in conservation, pros- and cons- of using market-based conservation tools, current environmental, developmental agendas, and sustainability, gender and conservation among others.
- Medium of Instruction: Although the primary instruction will be in English, we hope to ensure that we have interpreters/ translators for languages that the selected candidates represent. We will strive to be as inclusive of language requirements by the candidates if required by them.
- Educational Qualification: As long as the candidate shows interest and/or some experience in the field of ecology/conservation, the educational qualification of the candidate applying will not be the determining factor for selection. Even if the candidate does not have a formal degree post schooling we encourage the candidate to send in their application.
2010 -APPLICATION PROCEDURE / INSTRUCTIONS:
Please follow the following instructions in order to apply for this module –
- Download the word document (*.docx) : [Download Form]
- Fill up the application form on your computer.
- Check that you have all the supporting documents requested as part of the application (see application form for checklist).
- Scan your supporting documents. Please ensure that you have all documents.
- Upload the completed application form (*.doc/.docx) along with all scanned supporting files and email them to:
Dr. Krishnapriya Tamma at email@example.com, with the subject line – ‘SCC-BNG 2018 Pre-Conference Modules Application’