SCCS-Bng is committed to providing a welcoming, safe, and inclusive environment for all participants. SCCS-Bng welcomes and encourages participation of individuals from under-represented groups, values constructive contributions from diverse perspectives, and is dedicated to creating a welcoming and respectful environment for all.
The objective of this Code of Conduct (“Code”) is to serve as guidance for acceptable behavior of anyone participating in SCCS-Bng and the process for remediation should an incident in the nature of unacceptable behavior occur. The Code reflects SCCS-Bng’s tenets of practicing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
All SCCS-Bng participants – including, but not limited to, attendees, speakers, volunteers, exhibitors, SCCS-Bng Organisers, members of the media, vendors, guests, and service providers (hereinafter “participants”) – are expected to abide by this Code. This Code applies in all SCCS-Bng venues, including ancillary events and social gatherings, and on-line forums and discussions associated with SCCS-Bng.
This Code aims to establish a harassment-free and respectful environment at its events and is driven by the core values of equity and inclusion and the aim of creating a welcoming and respectful environment for all. The definitions given represent SCCS’s distinctions of the terms and are intended as examples of conduct that may violate any rule laid out in this document:
- Diversity – the quality of being different or unique as an individual or group, including but not limited to the following attributes: race, ability status, age, body size, ethnicity, gender or gender identity/expression, nationality or origin, physical appearance, political views or other affiliation, professional status, religion, caste, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, technology choice and/or working language proficiency.
- Harassment –behavior, gestures, or speech that is not welcome or is personally offensive. Examples of harassment include deliberate intimidation, inappropriate/unnecessary physical contact, photography or recording stalking, sustained disruption of talks, or unwelcome attention.
- Inclusion – the practice or policy of providing equal access to opportunities and resources for people who might otherwise be excluded or marginalized, such as those who have physical or mental disabilities and members of other minoritized groups.
- Foster an atmosphere of inclusiveness and belonging, treating all participants with kindness, respect, consideration, and valuing a diversity of views and opinions.
- Interact with others in ways that reflect the uniqueness, experiences, and worth of others. If you are not sure what a person or a specific community prefers to be called, just ask: “How would you like to be addressed?”
- Communicate in an open, compassionate, and positive manner by using transparent and kind communication. This can be done by avoiding negative tone and critiquing ideas rather than individuals.
- Actively listen without interrupting and imposing one’s own opinions.
- Think before you speak. Be mindful of those around you, and choose your words with kindness, thoughtfulness, and care.
- Acknowledge the opinions, skills, and contributions of others.
- Provide encouragement, help, support, or mentorship to other SCCS-Bng participants, if needed.
- Respect the rules and policies of the meeting venue, accommodation venues, or any other SCCS-Bng related venue, including on-line platforms.
- Respect other participant members’ confidentiality pertaining to photographs and video recordings.
- Unwelcome or offensive verbal comments or exclusionary behavior.
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events.
- Physical or verbal abuse of any participant.
- Unwanted and/or unwelcome sexual or verbal attention and inappropriate physical contact.
- Use of sexual or discriminatory language, images, words, gestures, or concepts in physical gathering spaces or in presentations.
- Real or implied threat of physical harm.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following.
- Abuse of power (including abuses related to position, wealth, race or gender).
- Any behavior that discriminates against a group or class of people.
- Harassment, intimidation, microaggressions, or discrimination in any form are not acceptable. Please note that behavior that is acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another, so use discretion to be certain respect is communicated. Harassment intended in a joking manner still constitutes unacceptable behavior.
- Retaliation for reporting unacceptable behavior.
Immediate serious threats to public safety
Please notify a member of the Organising Committee, volunteers or venue security if you or someone else is in immediate danger, or if you see something suspicious or would like to report a security issue or emergency at an SCCS-Bng event.
Incident Reporting Guidelines for SCCS-Bng 2023
At SCCS-Bng 2023, we are committed to maintaining a safe and respectful environment for all participants. We take incidents seriously and encourage individuals to report any concerns they may have. These guidelines outline the steps for reporting an incident and the process that will be followed to address it.
- Identify the Incident
If you witness or experience any behavior that violates SCCS-Bng's Code of Conduct, please take note of the following details:
- Date, time, and location of the incident.
- Names or descriptions of individuals involved.
- Any witnesses to the incident.
- A detailed description of the incident itself, including specific actions or statements.
- Immediate Response
If you feel safe and comfortable doing so, you can take the following immediate steps:
If the situation involves personal safety, contact local authorities or event security as necessary.
In case of harassment or misconduct on social media or online forums associated with SCCS-Bng, consider blocking the individual and preserving evidence (e.g., screenshots) if possible.
- Report the Incident
To report an incident, you have several options:
- In Person
Find an SCCS-Bng Organising committee member or Conference Administrator and report the incident directly to them. They will guide you through the process and take appropriate action.
> Samira Agnihotri - +91 73377 81504
> Srinivasan Kasinathan - +91 89036 90250
> Ishika Ramakrishna - +91 98331 26431
> Sruthy Boopathy - +91 89036 22693
Send an email to email@example.com with "Incident Report" in the subject line. Provide all the details of the incident as outlined in step 1.
- Online Reporting Form
Use the online incident reporting form available on the SCCS-Bng website. Fill out the form with the incident details and submit it. https://forms.gle/Xj7Rx5CZJuCAidoRA
- In Person
SCCS-Bng takes privacy seriously, and all incident reports will be handled with discretion. Your identity will be kept confidential, to the extent permitted by law. However, in certain situations, it may be necessary to share limited information with relevant parties involved in the investigation.
- Investigation and Resolution
Once an incident is reported, SCCS-Bng will initiate an investigation. The process may involve gathering information from witnesses and the individuals involved. We aim to resolve incidents promptly and fairly, following the principles of due process.
The outcomes of the investigation may include, but are not limited to:
- A warning or counseling for the individual responsible for the incident.
- A request for an apology or remedial action.
- Expulsion or banning from SCCS-Bng events if necessary.
- Legal action in severe cases.
- Reporting Back
The person who reported the incident will be informed of the outcome, to the extent possible and permissible by law.
SCCS-Bng strictly prohibits retaliation against individuals who report incidents in good faith. Any such retaliation should be reported immediately.
By adhering to these incident reporting guidelines, we can ensure a safer and more respectful environment for all participants at SCCS-Bng 2023. Your cooperation is crucial in upholding our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Incident Reporting Form - SCCS-Bng 2023: https://forms.gle/Xj7Rx5CZJuCAidoRA